Thursday, December 25, 2008

'Twas The Night Before Christmas

…And all through the house, not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.

Well, actually two very important people were stirring. Roughly 2012 years ago A carpenter and his betroved wife were trying to find a place to sleep, but no inn had a room, and with nowhere to stay – they turned to a humble stable to lay.

We all know this story, it’s the story of Jesus’s birth, and whether you believe it, or not – it’s an amazing story, even just a few lines from the worlds oldest book, and it has so much meaning for today.

A young “unwed” couple having a child, not knowing what the future held for them, but still willing to do what they thought was right. A child that would be born into dangerous times, where a tyrant will later attempt to have him killed because he feared for his own job. And above all, in a time when all hope seemed lost – it truly wasn’t humanities finest hour…

But hark, what tiny beacon of light is this? The Christ Child is born. If God could send his son during those horrible times, surely he would never abandon all those whom he calls his children? This gives me hope – even if I’m the only one; that times will get better, for the night is always darkest before the dawn.

This is one of the reasons that I believe in God, not because I’m told to, not because I was raised too, and not because I’ve been forced too – but because, it is the ultimate story of hope. For this is nothing that I have done, that would ever warrent being "saved" but the young child came for me as well. Even though I may make mistake after mistake (to the millionth power) there will still be love in that tiny child's heart for me. How do I know this to be true? Well, in about 4 months were going to learn how much he loved us all.

I have been truely blessed this year, I have made new friends, affermed and strengthened friendships (includeing one very crazy person, who I think is the closest thing I have to a best friend), gone wonderful places, seen amazing things, learned more than I have ever thought possible, been forced to go through hell and back, fought personal deamons (and beat them), and leaned much about myself - all the while I've also reafermed that my family is the greatest Gift I could ever recieve, and I love each and every member of them (includeing my brother - even though it may not seem like it at times!)

So I have already been blessed this Christmas, just as I am, every day of the year, and for when I don't say it I wanted to say this; to my family: I Love You, I could not be here without you, you all truely mean the world to me.

Jesus was born to a world that didn’t deserve him, that for all intensive purposes would hate him, but he was also born into a world that desperately need him. Just like we need him now.

As I write this, the clock has struck midnight – it’s Christmas Day; Merry Christmas to all. And sadly as I pause to listen I hear an ambulance’s siren far off in the distance, and I stop to say a quick prayer for those who work in hospitals, who must visit them tonight, and for those who are unable to – May God watch over all of you tonight.

So, I ask all of you to pray with me, our world is in turmoil, much like two millennia ago, but humanity was able to rise after being kicked to the ground, and we will again rise, and we will be stronger, smarter, and better – for on a night, much like tonight 2000 years ago the savior was born, and while he may not be born tonight, he is reborn inside of us every day – so why could we not become like Jesus, and help those who need it.

I ask you, all who read this (for I now know there are some that do) on this Christmas, do something for those who need it, even if it’s simply smiling at someone on the street for you never know what that smile may mean to a person.

I will leave you with a passage from the greatest story of all time:

Luke: 2 1-7
In those days a decree went out from Caesar Augustus 2 that the whole world should be enrolled. This was the first enrollment, when Quirinius was governor of Syria. So all went to be enrolled, each to his own town. And Joseph too went up from Galilee from the town of Nazareth to Judea, to the city of David that is called Bethlehem, because he was of the house and family of David, to be enrolled with Mary, his betrothed, who was with child. While they were there, the time came for her to have her child, and she gave birth to her firstborn son. She wrapped him in swaddling clothes and laid him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn.

The beginning of the greatest story ever told. So I will now bid you all a Merry Christmas, and I ask that you keep the following people in your prayers: Our soldiers both home and abroad (let them make it home to their families for the next Christmas); Policeman, Firefighters, and Rescue Personal (please keep them safe so that they may see their families in the morning); Nurses and Doctors (help them to care for those who come for their care tonight, let God’s touch be with them in healing and comforting); The poor, homeless, and those who are forgotten (Let God show them that he loves them too, and that they will be able to know other love them as well) And finally, pray for those around you for we all need prayers.

God Bless all of you,

Happy Christmas to All, and to All A Good Night!

No comments: